Avonlea's Nursery Tour

Tuesday, May 16


Avonlea's nursery was an absolute joy to put together. As I began to dream about how to fill the empty space, the words that came to mind for her room were simple, sweet, airy and joyful. I envisioned this space being a place where God was glorified through the every day tasks of caring and loving and changing diapers:) 

Being on a total eucalyptus kick this past year, I knew for certain I wanted a huge eucalyptus wreath over her crib. That's what I started with. And then little by little things fell in place. I felt drawn to raw wood, eucalyptus, baskets, and a touch of pink:) 


As the eucalyptus green color was incorporated into the room, I really wanted a vintage green chalkboard. I scoured the internet and just couldn't find one that worked. So I decided to make my own. I got hardboard at Home Depot and painted it (clary sage is the color). I found some scrap wood and Kev and I nailed it together to make a frame. It was easier than I imagined. I really wanted a quote that magnified the Lord, and found this one…a line from the Common Book of prayer, or what we know as the  Gloria in excelsis Deo. I got chills the first time I read it, how awesome our Lord is! I want Avonlea to grow up knowing how loved she is by God, and how she can worship him in awe and wonder.  


Avonlea's middle name is Grace. As I was praying over what encouraging words I wanted hung in her room, the Lord gave me this verse in John 1:6… "for from his fullness we have all received grace upon grace". My talented friend Melody kindly penned this verse and it encourages me each time I glance at it.

Avonlea's name comes from Anne of Green Gables, and of course the following book Anne of Avonlea. In Anne of Avonlea, Anne befriends a woman who is very difficult to love (as she's had a very hard childhood which has made her bitter). Anne looks past her mean exterior and invites her home to Green Gables where she is welcomed with open arms by Marilla and Rachel. I'm always touched by this scene, and pray that our sweet Avonlea would invite people into an environment of gentleness and grace. 


I adore Rifle paper company, and wanted to incorporate some of their prints into Avonlea's nursery. My  lovely mother sewed this adorable quilt for Avonlea using 4 different Rifle fabrics. As a child my own Nonnie made me a blanket and I had it until after college when it was so loved it shred into tatters and had to be thrown away. I know Avonlea will cherish this blanket from her Nonnie:) I also used the Rifle letters above to spell out JOY. Doesn't it just evoke a smile? 


My mother is a very talented sewer, so besides stitching the beautiful quilt, she also made these doily buntings for the windows. I think it adds the perfect whimsical touch:) 


One of my favorite parts of the room is the shiplap wall! Being cheap, its not real shiplap but instead its plywood from Home Depot that we had stripped. Our dear friends came over one day in January and helped put it up. I loved how it turned out!!


If you're curious where I acquired certain items in the nursery, I've tried to make a list below! 

- Crib: Ikea Snigler Crib (this one is non-toxic and got GREAT reviews!) 
- Glider Chair: This is actually the Jenny Lund chair from Ikea (we found it on craiglist for super cheap, 
                       and then just bought a new cover for it). We followed this tutorial to make it into a glider. 
                       We took off the feet, bought a glider on amazon, and then Kevin attached the glider to 
                       the chair and Voila! It was perfect. 
- Rug: Braided Wool Rug from Rugs USA. I love this online store. This is the second rug i've bought 
           from them and i've been really impressed. They have amazing coupons (so get on their mailing 
           list). I got this during one of their crazy sales, and it was a fraction of what it costs normally!   
         Wool is evidently supposed to be a healthier option as it's a natural fiber, as opposed to synthetic. 
- Large Eucalyptus Wreath: Made by my cousin who is an incredible florist! 
- Small Eucalyptus Wreath: A gift from my sisters from a local boutique here in town 
- Blanket Ladder: I made this using a very easy diy tutorial (found here). If I could make it, so can you! 
- Dresser: Ikea Hemnes Dresser. I made it look a little more unique by adding hanging brass knobs to it. 
               I found them on amazon for super cheap here. 
- Bunting: We found lace doilies at yard sales and my mom sewed them into a bunting. 
- Chalkboard: I made it with hardboard and painted it Clary Sage, then framed it in raw wood. Lauren  
                   lettered the quote onto the board. You can see her lovely shop here. 
- "Fullness of Grace" Print and "Avonlea Grace" Print: Both done by my beautiful friend Melody. 
- Side table, lamp, stool, and bookcase: Yards Sales and Craiglist!! Gotta love good deals, right? 
- Non-toxic organic Crib Mattress: Naturepedics  It was really important for me to have a non-toxic crib 
                                                    mattress, as my baby's face will be on this for long stretches of time  
                                                    over the next few years. I splurged and think it's worth it! 
- Non-toxic organic crib sheets: Magnolia Oh MY GOODNESS these crib sheets are amazing. So soft 
                                               and a great fit on the mattress, plus organic and GOTS certified!! 
- Non-toxic changing pad: Oeuf 
- Organic changing pad cover: Burts Bees 
- Frames: Aaron Brother's (They always have a 50% off coupon online, so make sure you print that!) 
- Book Shelves: These are actually spice racks from Ikea haha! 
- Lace Curtains: IKEA 

Did I forget anything? Hope this was helpful!! Thanks for letting me share with you:) 
xoxo 

No comments :

Post a Comment

I LOVE hearing from you friend:) Your comment will make my day!