A Downton Abbey Birthday Party…Welcome to the 1920's!

Monday, March 17





"One cannot have too large a party" -Jane Austen

I love parties, I do.
And themed, parties...oh goodness, all the better!

My friend Chelsea and I share the same birthday,
and for the last 3 years have hosted a joint birthday party together
{see our Mad Men themed party from last year, here}

This year, the theme was So EASY, as we are both head over heels for the show Downton Abbey.
England...swoon, 1920's...double swoon...
it was meant to be:)

But remember, Chelsea and I are RATHER intense when it comes perfecting the theme. 
Here are a few fun things we did to usher Downton Abbey and the 1920's into our party...

1. Costumes! We made everyone dress up, and it made all the difference:) Chels and I also made our own "head pieces" by buying elastic bands and feathers from Michael's, so easy! We also had a costume contest which was quite fabulous!

2. Dancing! One of our close friends is a professional dancer, and she came prepared to teach us the Charleston and a bunch of other moves! We had that Great Gatsby soundtrack on repeat, and honestly, it was so so much fun. Everyone was a gem and got into it!

3. Fancy Names! You can't be at Downton without an air of status, now can you!?! At the door, we had everyone fill out a piece of paper that helped them figure out their "Fancy name". You picked a title {Countess, Duchess, Princess, or Lady, or Count, Duke, Prince, or Lord for the men}, then wrote your middle name, the street you live on, and the city of your birth. So, my fancy name was "Duchess Emma Pound of Chico"! At the end of the night, I read everyone's fancy name off, and people had to guess who was who! It was so fun!

4. Guessing Games! I had two guessing games up on the walls. One was called "Who's Who 1920's" and I had printed out a bunch of famous people from the 1920's. Everyone had to guess who was who! The second game was called "Who Said It- Downton Abbey Style". I took a bunch of quotes from Downton Abbey characters and everyone had to guess who said it! Our avid Downton fans got really into it!!

5. Telegrams! Chelsea found a template for an old telegram, so we printed them out and had them around so people could write telegrams to the birthday girls:)

6. Downton Drinks! We set up a little "speakeasy" where you could order one of three drinks... the "Lady Mary", the "Lady Edith", and a "Lady Sybil". Our caption on the sign read "If you consider yourself beautiful {or handsome} with a sharp edge, you may enjoy the Lady Mary. If you're a bit bland but well intentioned, try the Lady Edith. If you're sweet through and through, delight yourself in a Lady Sybil". So fun!!

It was a fantastic night, and a few friends told me it was the most fun they've ever had at a birthday party! {score!!}  Chels and I were so grateful for the fun, the friendship, and the festivities!!

Happy Monday,
love Katie 
or shall I say, Lady Kathryn? haha


{It's a family affair…our brother and sister in law!} 

{Chels made these fabulous "Cruella DeVille" cigarettes for ladies to take upon arrival!}


 {voting for best dressed above, and the winner, sweet Amanda, below!}

Now on to my FAVORITE part!! The Dancing!!! 

{our AMAZING teacher Meki, below}

 {The Fun details and Games}

{fancy names, below}

{finishing out the night with good friends!}


  {love this last group shot, for those that hung in there until the end!!} 

46 comments :

  1. What an AWESOME party!! I love the Downton theme & the fun drink ideas! So creative & fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks like such a fun time! :) you guys look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness- I love theme parties and yours looked like so much fun!!! Any chance I can snag n invite to next year's? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1- Your dress=amazing! 2- This looks like SO much fun, I think I need to have a Downton Abbey party stat! 3- The headbands, so creative! 4-Learning the Charleston?! So classy, and that would be such a great time. 5-The names? So funny! Mine is not so great with that formula but my husband's is pretty epic... mostly because his middle name is Charles, that's very fitting. 6-Those drinks are super creative, I'm all about the Lady Sybil. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh Katie. This party looks straight from a magazine. Orange trees and hanging lights in the yard? The Charleston? Ah! I need to live there now. Haha. You look amazing Lady Kathryn and this looks like a huge success!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh. my. GOODNESS!!!! This is incredible!!! Want to plan a party with me when we move back to the states? Cutest!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is THE coolest birthday party ever!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is awesome!!! I would go with Princess Danielle Lockdale of Lancaster =) =)
    Now I totally want to go by that name haha ;)

    Much Love!!


    www.lovelisaelle.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi sweetness!!!! I just found your blog thanks to Chloe sharing about this party on Facebook!!! You had me at Downton. ;) And then I've just kept reading and reading and I'm honored to call you a sister in Christ too!!!!

    Anyway...just wanted to say HELLO and I cannot wait to read along now! So excited.

    Hope you had a fabulous, blessed, lovely Monday, darling!
    xx
    Elise

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh my goodness!!! i wish we were real life friends so i could have come to this party!! haha this looks amazing!!!! SOOOOO fun!!! i hope you had the best birthday (and it looks like you did!)) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness, this looks like SO much fun!!! Glad you had such a fantastic birthday! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This party looks like such a blast! I love theme parties and you guys go all out!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This. is. fabulous! Happy birthday to a fellow March baby!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So fun! One of the best themed birthdays I've ever seen. So glad y'all had such a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks like such a blast!!! You ladies are always so creative with your parties :) Happy birthday beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Man, everyone really went all out! LOVE IT!! You look so adorable, Katie! :) Makes me want to throw a theme party ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  18. How fun! Everyone looked so great!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That looks like such a fabulous birthday party!! I love themed parties, but the last themed party I had for my birthday was when I was 18. One of these years I'll have to do it up again!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love love love this. The fancy names were perfect-- mine would be 'Princess Marie Kilburn of Rochester', so fancy. Dressing up always makes for a good time. It sounds like it was a ton of fun!

    Lauren @ How Beautiful Are The Feet

    ReplyDelete
  21. this is so awesome! i'm hiring you to plan my next birthday party : ) your costumes all look so great!

    ReplyDelete
  22. ahhh so much fun! seriously in love!
    we need to live closer so i can crash some of these parties! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I LOVE this! What a good idea!!! And you looked so gorgeous, love your dress & shoes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh my gosh, how fun! I love parties and themed ones are the best. Looks like a blast!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have no reason to throw a party in the near future (not to mention having not nearly enough friends to invite), but I REALLY want to have a 1920's Gatsby-esque party now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. AHHHHHHH! I love everything about this, Katie!! This makes me want to have a Downton inspired party!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This looks like a blast!!! You sure know how to have fun! I love it!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. so this is the most awesome party EVER! Love every single detail!

    ReplyDelete
  29. so fun! love the downton/gatsby era!

    jorie

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is so creative and looks like such a fun party! Happy belated birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love it!! We had some friends in college hold a "Classy Party" (that was the legitimate name) every year outside of their apartment. We weren't quite all the way to 1920's flapper dresses, but there was croquet, cigars, twinkle lights, and Sinatra...with everyone dressed to the nine's. I might have to steal your theme, though - looks like y'all had a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow!!! Looks like it was so much fun!!!! I want to come to your parties. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  33. how absolutely fun katie! you guys know how to throw a party!

    ReplyDelete
  34. FUN!!! I bet that party would have made even Lady Mary crack a smile :-)

    ReplyDelete
  35. This looked like so much fun! Happy Belated Birthday to both you and your friend!

    ReplyDelete
  36. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh my god! You all are looking fabulous. I am sure it must be an ever lasting fun experience for you and your friends.
    party space nyc

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh my gosh I love all of this! What a fun idea!! And those dresses! I need go have a backyard filled with lemon trees? Gorgeous photos.

    ReplyDelete
  39. What a great party idea! You're so creative even in the little details Katie!

    ReplyDelete
  40. this looks incredible! lots of good fun!

    ReplyDelete
  41. What an amazing theme and the decor was perfect!!!! Love, love this :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. I love Downton Abbey! Your headdresses are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  43. This is so cute! I love the show and the style, great for a party. I recently bought curtains and table runners for my home inspired by the show.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you friend:) Your comment will make my day!