Yosemite, with the Swedes

Monday, July 7



Four years ago, my family went to Sweden to participate in a Swedish/American reunion with our relatives. We had been to Sweden before, and knew some of our cousins, but this trip opened up a whole new world of the family we never knew! We bonded instantly, and now four years later, the Swedes have come to America for another reunion.

Each day was filled with magical hikes around the jaw-dropping Yosemite Valley (seeing the giant sequoias, and getting wet while hiking up Vernal Falls!). And each night was filled with laughter and some sort of fun activity. Monday night was an interesting discussion on how we are all related, and how our relatives immigrated to America. Tuesday night my aunt and a distant cousin led us in quintessential Americana songs…{please just visual the whole crew singing "My darling Clementine", "She'll be coming 'round the Mountain" and "American the Beautiful". It was hysterical! Wednesday night was a Swedish/American Auction. Everyone was instructed to bring an item that was locally made in their hometown (either in America or Sweden). With 160 people at the reunion, you can imagine there was some seriously AMAZING items for sale!! I walked away a painting, a vintage map of yosemite, and a book on Swedish Traditions with gorgeous photography! All the money was donated to a good cause! Thursday we raised a Swedish Midsommer Pole, and danced around it! {Sadly I wasn't there, but my family told me it was epic!!} Friday everyone drove up to Northern California to my family's farm and had a 4th of July extravaganza! 

The best part of the week though was just building relationships with our Swedish family! There are a ton of cousins our age, and it was just fantastic to live life along their side for a week. I'm looking forward to a few of them coming to visit us this weekend!! 

I hope that if you have any cultural opportunities to get to know your ancestors family, you'll swoop it up! I'm so happy my family has kept up this connection!! Enjoy the pics...













{Samuel, a gourmet chef in Sweden, sampling the tree sap}




{1 american, 2 swedes…Stellan, Bertil, and Steve}




{love my dad!}






{Giant sequoias are no joke…look at the size of that tree trunk!}





{waiting in line for the bus…no problem, tic-tac-toe with sticks and rocks}
























{upward and onward to Vernal Falls!}


{beautiful Lovisa}









Here's to another reunion in Sweden 4 years from now!! 

19 comments :

  1. Your reunion had 160 people! That's incredible! My family has a hard time getting 8 of us together for the holiday. I'd LOVE reunions like that. And extra fun that your extended family is in Sweden. Any excuse to travel overseas and visit is good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, THIS is where I want to travel to next! What amazing photos and there's nothing better than getting together with family. What awesome memories you made!

    xo, gina

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just beyond beautiful! I never really had interest in Yosemite but now I know I'll be searching for as many photos as I can get my hands on!

    Alyssa | Keep It Simple

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is adorable! Your pictures are beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness! These photos are amazing! I was at the Redwoods State and National Parks last month and was blown away by the grandeur and majesty of those giant redwoods. But you guys did some serious hiking! Wow!! You look lovely as ever. I hope we can catch up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. these pictures are gorgeous kate! that was such a fun trip and so good to see you
    <3 lele

    ReplyDelete
  7. The second picture looks like it would be something I would see in a travel magazine. The waterfalls, everything in these pictures make me feel just a little bit of wanderlust. Too amazing.

    Naturally Jes

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning photos!

    http://www.thetouristoflife.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun family! Y'all are all so cute. I love that picture of the popsicles! Along with all the other ones :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am 100% living vicariously through your trip... :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW! I need to go there! And 160 people? We can't even get 10-15 of us together when we live less than 10 miles apart!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun reunion! And those views are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. such beautiful photography! looks like it was a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm more into cities than nature, but these views are breathtaking and I wouldn't mind going there at all! It looks wonderful, and seems like you had so much fun! Btw, do you speak Swedish?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wish I knew my European relatives so I could do something like this! Too bad my family has lived in the US since the 1800s

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an amazing trip!! If only you guys could do it more than every 4 years!

    ReplyDelete
  17. everything about this makes me smile. such a precious family & amazing scenery!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you friend:) Your comment will make my day!